3/22/14

Three decades later

I've known him since before he was born.  He's 30 now.  He got married today.  He's a successful jazz pianist.  He looks just like he did when he was 3.  I cried.  I have no word for the feeling.  Something like happy, but bigger.  Something like joy, but deeper.  Something with a little sadness in it for all the time in between.  And wistfulness.  Pride, wonder, worry (there's always some worry when you love someone, for all the things you can't protect them from).  Love, of course.  And glad surprise that I was invited to the wedding.  It's been decades since he saw me last.  We knew each other right away, though, as soon as I walked in the door.  "Aaron!"  "DianneDeMott!"  He always said my name like one word.  What's the word for the feeling when you hear your name again like a little boy said it so many years ago?

Aaron Wyanski

No comments: